Chemistry is frequently referred as a “central science” for its key role in advancing technological progress through the design and synthesis of novel functional materials for energy, environmental, and biomedical applications.
Our two year program will extend your depth and breadth of knowledge in all domains of modern chemical science, helping you to become an excellent industrial or academic chemist.
By enrolling in the program you will benefit from a fast-developing research infrastructure and well-balanced study programs delivered by our highly qualified international academic staff. You will also be able to advance such essential skills as project management, team-working, problem-solving, preparing and delivering oral and poster presentations, as well as critical assessment of relevant scientific literature.
The two year MSc Program in Chemistry is designed to train students as professional chemists who will possess in-depth knowledge of advanced theory and practical knowledge in various areas of chemistry.
The students will gain deep and systematic knowledge of the fundamental principles in chemistry, and develop the ability to identify, analyze and develop solutions problems in the context of real-life of the XXI Century, while fostering entrepreneurship. The graduates are expected to acquire advanced chemical, physical, mathematical, computational (calculation and simulation), and laboratory experimental skills as relevant to the subjects of their Master projects. They are further expected to become exposed to the international research environment and to acquire strong scientific communication skills. The program design takes advantage of the faculty expertise and the laboratory resources of the School of Science and Technology, National Laboratory of Astana, School of mining and Geoscience, and School of Engineering and Digital Sciences.
1. An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent). During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
2. A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
3. High level of English proficiency.
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the program is:
1) Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
2) Candidates with not sufficient IELTS score may be admitted to the ZERO-year program: The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for conditional admission (NUZYP) is an overall IELTS test score of 5.5, with no more than one sub-score of 5.0, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website;
3) Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if: – one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life; – an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
4. Strong mathematical skills as demonstrated by ALEKS test administered by the School on a set date. Applicants who provide valid GRE or GMAT test certificate may request exemption from mathematical skills test;
5. High motivation and strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose;
6. A curriculum vitae;
7. Two letters of recommendation.
Application package checklist:
1. Complete Application form;
2. National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
3. Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
4. Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree diploma with transcript; During the application period final year students may upload official current transcript for consideration.
5. IELTS or TOEFL certificate valid as of date of online documents submission;
6. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL). Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
7. Curriculum vitae (up to 2 pages);
8. GRE/GMAT certificate valid as of date of online documents submission (if applicable);
9. Statement of purpose (up to 1 page);
10. Two confidential letters of recommendation (at least one academic reference) written within the last 12 months (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy after receiving an email request);
11. Consent for Applicant’s personal data processing (according to the template in applicant’s personal account).
Important: All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline. All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation. Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program. Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within established period of time. Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Astana, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
Application deadline: April
The graduates are expected to acquire advanced chemical, physical, mathematical, computational (calculation and simulation), and laboratory experimental skills as relevant to the subjects of their Master projects. They are further expected to become exposed to the international research environment and to acquire strong scientific communication skills.
In future you will have a chance to prosper your career in petroleum/oil industry, geology industry, pharmaceutical industry or work in government sector.
The curriculum of the program consists of three different types of courses:
Type A. Core courses (24 ECTS), Type B. Elective courses (30 ECTS), and Type C.
Teaching and Research courses (36 ECTS) and Thesis (30 ECTS) Compulsory courses of type A (core courses) are designed to give a solid and wide base of advanced knowledge in the different areas of Chemistry (Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry). These courses are therefore planned for the first year.
By mean of the selection of the optional courses of type B (elective courses) the Student will have the opportunity to define his/her personalized specialization of interest for research and working purposes. These courses are planned for the first year (second semester) and second year (first semester).
Teaching and research courses are delivered across SSH Graduate Programs within the approved Graduate Program Framework.
Ample funding is available for local and international students, with the majority receiving a full scholarship and stipend.
To get more details please follow the link.