Biological science is recognized worldwide as a vibrant, emerging area of study.The Master of Science degree (MSc) in Biological Sciences and Technologies provides excellent instruction in a focused discipline, and will train modern high quality biotechnology and life science experts which are in high demand for both existing as well as anticipated industries in Kazakhstan and abroad.
Biological sciences and technologies is a rapidly growing interdisciplinary specialty of life sciences that aligns with priority science and technology needs for the Republic of Kazakhstan and abroad. The Master of Science degree (MSc) in Biological Sciences and Technologies provides excellent instruction in a focused discipline, and will train modern high quality biotechnology and life science experts which are in high demand for both existing as well as anticipated industries in Kazakhstan and abroad.
This Graduate Program is consistent with the structure of the Bologna Process, which requires a minimum of 120 ECTS for a Master’s degree and can be compared in scope and structure to available programs in internationally leading academic institutions. The program will provide candidates with the opportunity to prepare themselves for either academic or non-academic (“professional”) careers.
1. An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent).
During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
2. A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
3. High level of English proficiency.
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the program is:
1) Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
2) Candidates with not sufficient IELTS score may be admitted to the ZERO-year program:
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for conditional admission (NUZYP) is an overall IELTS test score of 5.5, with no more than one sub-score of 5.0, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website;
3) Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
– one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life.
– an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
– an applicant is an NU graduate.
4. High motivation and strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose;
5. A curriculum vitae;
6. Two letters of recommendation.
Application package checklist:
1. Complete Application form;
2. National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
3. Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
4. Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree diploma with transcript;
During the application period final year students may upload official current transcript for consideration.
5. IELTS or TOEFL certificate valid as of date of online documents submission;
6. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL).
Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
7. Curriculum vitae (up to 2 pages);
8. GRE/GMAT certificate valid as of date of online documents submission (not mandatory but recommended);
9. Statement of purpose (up to 1 page);
10. Two confidential letters of recommendation (at least one academic reference) written within the last 12 months (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy after receiving an email request);
11. Consent for Applicant’s personal data processing (according to the template in applicant’s personal account).
Application deadline: April 30th, 2021
All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline.
All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation.
Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program.
Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within established period of time.
Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Astana, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
For some students, a MSc obtained after two years of training will be the desired end to their graduate training. Graduates of this program are expected to find many medium-paid job opportunities in universities, pharmaceutical, biotechnological or agricultural companies, hospitals, research institutions, vocational schools, governmental and non-profit organizations. As for the rest, the ultimate goal of this graduate program is the PhD degree, which has an expected duration of no less than three additional years beyond the MSc, in line with the leading graduate science programs in the world.
Discipline core courses in advanced prokaryotic, eukaryotic molecular cellular and structural biology are accompanied by a life sciences-oriented statistics course that will enable students to analysis data.
Other core courses in applied bioinformatics, advanced biotechnology and cellular biophysics offer students the necessary theoretical knowledge and methodological skill set for specialization supported by research electives in immunology, neuroscience, cancer biology, environmental systems, drug design and development, synthetic biology, or gene therapy.
Courses in education, innovation and entrepreneurship compliment the discipline-specific courses.
The courses of the entire program will consist of lectures, problem- and team- based learning courses, seminars, practical and experimental approaches. Latest research findings will be fully integrated into the teaching. English language will be used throughout the program
Ample funding is available for local and international students, with the majority receiving a full scholarship and stipend.
To get more details please follow the link.