Launched in the Fall 2014, MAPSIR is the first graduate level political science and international relations program taught in English in Kazakhstan. A wide array of courses is offered by an internationally recognized faculty drawn from North America and Europe. The program was developed in consultation with the Political Science Department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA).
- The first English-language graduate level political science and international relations program in Kazakhstan.
- 2-year funded all-English MA program.
- Taught by internationally-recognized faculty drawn from North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia, with PhDs from North American or European universities Advised and actively supported by the Political Science Department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA), ranked 15th nationally.
- Advanced academic training for careers in government, international organizations, academia, or other fields related to governance and policy.
- Campus with modern facilities, labs, library, sports center, housing based on need Merit-based scholarships and discounts for international students.
What will you gain?
- Strong academic, research and analytical skills: Proficiency in problem-solving approaches taken by political scientists and other social scientists.
- An understanding of the questions and theories of international relations and comparative politics.
- The ability to conduct and complete a graduate thesis utilizing social science research methods and to explain the project’s contribution to academic and applied settings.
What can you do with the MAPSIR degree?
MAPSIR is a great choice if you intend to pursue a career in government, academia, or other fields related to governance and policy. MAPSIR graduates go on to work for national and local governments, international organizations, and firms that interact with government agencies. The degree also offers excellent training to students who wish to pursue further graduate work at the Ph.D. level. MAPSIR graduates have found attractive jobs in various government agencies and think-tanks.
English Language Requirements
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the Program is:
- Overall IELTS test score of 7.0 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for conditional admission (NUZYP) is an overall IELTS test score of 6.0, with no more than one sub-score of 5.5, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website;
- Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English;
an applicant is an NU graduate.
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and a graduate/postgraduate degree (if applicable) in a relevant discipline with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of a 4.00.
During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
- High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a personal essay (500 words);
- Strong writing skills demonstrated in an essay in response to the essay questions provided in the application form;
- Three letters of recommendation (written within the last 12 months).
- National and local government
- International organizations
- Core Seminar in International Relations
- Core Seminar in Comparative Politics
- Advanced Research I
- Core Seminar in Political Theory
- Advanced Research II
- Thesis planning
- Thesis Research and Writing
- Thesis Writing
Ample funding is available for local and international students, with the majority receiving a full scholarship and stipend.
To get more details please follow the link.
- Application deadline for international applicants: February 28, 2023
- Application deadline for local applicants: April 18, 2023