The History major at NU aims at being a model for rigorous, pluralistic and research-led institution in History of Kazakhstan. Students who choose the major in History will gain a sound knowledge of regional and global history across a variety of sub-disciplines and appreciation of how the past shapes current phenomena. Furthermore, students are trained to critically evaluate, select and process information, to communicate fluently and in sophisticated way both orally and in writing, and to work autonomously and responsibly.
The B.A. in History will prepare you to assess evidence, evaluate other people’s arguments, make up your own mind, and express your views in a sophisticated and compelling way.
You will not be expected to remember a long list of names and dates. Instead, you will learn how to use historical sources in order to understand how societies function. For example, by looking at how modern industry developed, you will be able to explore the relationship between economic change, the environment, and public policy. Similarly, by examining interethnic relations in the past, you will be able to analyze how multicultural societies such as Kazakhstan work today.
More broadly, you will learn to understand sophisticated texts and to formulate your own arguments in a clear and convincing manner. Through the study of History you will improve your written and oral communication skills in English. You will search for information and evaluate evidence, which you will then present in a variety of formats. With a degree in History, you will be able to:
– Distill, process and communicate information to others in English
– Analyze information and compose original arguments
– Understand how societies worked in the past and apply that knowledge to current situations
– Assess other people’s arguments and advance your views in a clear and convincing manner
– Understand the diversity of cultures, societies, and belief systems
English Language Requirements
IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score) or TOEFL IBT – 79-93 (Reading – no less than 13, Listening – no less than 12, Speaking – no less than 18, Writing – no less than 21) or TOEFL PBT** – 574-599
– Minimum requirements for graduates or students of the final year of secondary school, colleges, UK Foundation program and graduates of the A-level program
SAT Reasoning Test ** or ACT SAT Reasoning Test – 1240 Essay is not required, no minimum score OR ACT – 27 composite score. Writing part is not required, no minimum score
– Minimum requirements for graduates and holders of NIS Grade 12 Certificate* NIS 12 Grade Certificate – A B B (any subjects)
– Minimum requirements for graduates and holders of IВ Diploma Program***IB DP 30 total score and 4, 4, 5 for 3 subjects of HL *NIS Grade 12 Certificate holders can also participate in the competition in the “Graduates of secondary schools” category with IELTS and SAT results (see the minimum requirements for this category above). ** The Nazarbayev University applies the Superscoring for SAT scores. ***IB DP holders can also participate in the competition in the “Graduates of secondary schools” category with IELTS and SAT results (see the minimum requirements for this category above).
Financial services and analysis
Academic teaching and research
BA program runs 4 years (8 semesters) where you are required to complete 240 ECTS credits.
Any two elementary courses at the 100 level
Three General History Electives
Two Kazakh courses
History of Kazakhstan
Rhetoric and Composition
Social Science electives
Natural Sciences and Math
Any courses from SSH or SEDS